Huawei Mate 7 Marshmallow update guide
it is still in its beta phase and was released for some selected users, anyhow this OTA incremental package has been leaked and circulating all over the internet. some inexperienced users tried to install this update without proper information and they have bricked their phone.
so the purpose for posting this article is to help people understand , which steps & precautions they need to take before starting Marshmallow update on Huawei Mate 7.
Note: i have installed it and its working without any major problem
Steps to follow
- Currently there are 2 versions of Marshmallow firmware available, B511 & B513
- B511 is for middle eastern variant of Mate 7 & B513 is for Europe
- To check your phone belongs to which region dial this code *#*#2846579#*#* a menu will appear , tap on network information >Vendor country info (Mine was meafnaf) which is for middle east & Africa/Asia “spcseas” for Malaysia, “unicomelectric/cn” for China, “mts/by” for Belarus.
- Currently beta test is going on in 2 regions middle east & Europe. if your phone is not from these regions upgrade may brick your. success rate is less as per my information.
- Before you start upgrade process you must have unmodified system partition, phone without root running stock recovery & stock firmware. if you have previously rooted your phone or made some changes, i suggest you to reflash lollipop stock firmware by downloading from regional sites of huawei.
- you must be running lollipop B326 for middle east B511 upgrade. & lollipop B331 for Europe B513 upgrade. if your current firmware is different from these 2, please 1st upgrade/downgrade to these firmware versions.
- Those who are running B324/B329 are suggested to do a roll back to Kitkat 4.4 & then upgrade required to lollipop B326/B331 by flashing full packge (not incremental OTA package). and then upgrade to Marshmallow.
- For lollipop upgrade you must extract update.app file and copy in dload folder of your sdcard or internal phone storage . (if dload folder is not there create it by yourself)
- For Marshmallow upgrade you must copy the whole “update.zip” file inside dload folder of sdcard or internal phone storage. it is very important for successful update.
- if you are going to use sdcard make sure there is no virus and minimum 8Gb of space.
- Format sdcard before copying update files.
- Battery should be minimum 60%
- Unplug charger before starting update
- don’t touch any button until update is complete & startup screen appears.
- Its possible to roll back to lollipop if you don’t like this beta upgrade.
Issues you may face
- Battery drain issue, some users reported they are facing swear battery drain, in my case battery usage was little higher than lollipop when screen is on, standby time is almost same.
- Apps/games crash because of compatibility issues.
- some users faced problem with WiFi & Bluetooth, it stopped working for them.
- High RAM usage.
- Phone bricked & stopped working. you can still roll back to lollipop if your phone is not dead.